A Pittsburgh Metro area neighborhood with a long-standing, historic farmland past.
The first families settled Castle Shannon in 1786 in pursuit of farmland and timber. The most prominent farm was owned by David Strawbridge, who named it Castle Shanahan. Over time, the farm would lend its name to the area, as “Shanahan” would evolve into “Shannon”. In 1872, the Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon Railroad line was completed, providing a direct link from Pittsburgh to the then-village of Castle Shannon. Development was stimulated by two years of free transportation and lumber transport given to anybody building a home.
Today, Castle Shannon is one of many Pittsburgh neighborhoods with constant development and shifting demographics as the city as a whole evolves.